Let me first start out by saying that I’ve become a HUGE fan of Butterick patterns. They’re so well thought out and come together really well, and B5752 is no exception.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I made fit alterations to every single pattern piece, but it was well worth it in the end.
I used a lighter weight cotton sateen for the dress, and a black stretch cotton poplin for the lining. The bodice is lined, and so are the rouched side panels.
I really like the crossover front, but I think I’m going to put a few stitches between the front pieces, so it’s a little more modest. You may also notice in this picture that I decided to top stitch the neckline and armholes instead of under-stitching them. It was one of those ‘under-stitch as far as you can go’ instructions, and I’ve had less than stellar results in the past with that, and I think the top stitching looks just fine.
I had to improvise for the invisible zipper, and use navy blue, since that was the only one I had that was made with twill tape for zipper tape instead of that mesh garbage. You really can’t tell though, the only hint is the little zipper pull at the top.
I also added a little more fun to the dress by using more of my vintage hem tape I picked up a while ago from a second hand shop. It’s red, with slight tendencies towards coral. I was a little worried it might be visible through the dress, but it isn’t, so WIN!
I’ve quickly become a fan of hem tape. It’s so easy to put on and I love the decadence of a little lace.
I feel great in this dress! It’s comfortable, fits great, and I think the animal print is pretty hot! I can’t wait to get some warmer weather so I can actually wear it!
Here’s the link to my review of this pattern on Pattern Review.