I got a new toy! Yay! My ultimate goal was to ‘destash’ enough sewing machines that I’d be able to afford a Bernina 830 Record, and thanks to a great deal, I met my goal. Below are the ‘before’ pictures –
This machine had a manual for a Bernina 530-2, and that’s what it was listed as on craigslist (the price was pretty high for a 530, but very low for an 830). Thank God I clicked that listing and looked at the pictures! I recognized it as an 830 right away, but considered letting it pass by.
The next morning, it was still listed so I emailed the seller, who asked me to call for details (which I did), and apparently he had about 15 emails from people interested, but not one person had phoned him for details when he asked! I admit, I hate it when sellers insist the buyer calls. I mean, come on, it’s easier to get someone’s address in writing!
So, I was first to call, and I jumped in the car right away to go pick it up. It was an hour drive each way on the highway (still not the farthest I’ve gone fore a sewing machine though), but I snapped it up and brought it home.
I believe this machine came out of a moving company auction, but I really have nothing to base this on. It looks like it was used heavily for some time, and treated fairly well at that time, but it hadn’t been used in a long while, and had a significantly more difficult life lately.
The machine was a mess! There were a couple of stains on the body that I thought would be permanent, but thankfully they did end up coming off. Once I got all the dirt off the machine, it turns out it’s in pretty much mint physical condition!
It also came with it’s red ‘suitcase’ carrying case, red accessory case, and insert tray, all 13 presser feet, a ton of extra bobbins, a bunch of generic feet with adapters including a ruffler and a binding foot, the extension table, power cord and foot control. The only thing it’s missing is the knee lift. I’ll be on the look out for one of those to complete my package.
The inside of the machine needed some TLC. The lid is supposed to open to expose the inside of the machine, but I could barely get it open, the feed dogs weren’t adjusted properly and weren’t coming up far enough, the feed dog raise/lower knob was completely seized, the cams were covered in gunk, every oiling point was dry as a bone, the stitch length lever was also almost completely seized.
There was also a vibrational noise (not metal on metal thankfully) that I took care of with some well placed painters tape. There is a small spring on the side with the hand wheel, and inside the cover beside the belts, it applies a little extra tension to the belt mechanism. This was making a ton of noise, so I put a little painters tape around it, which silenced it completely and doesn’t change it’s functionality at all. Win win win.
This machine was a mess though! Yikes! I ran out of time today to take pictures of the 830 now that it’s all fixed up and purring like a kitten, but tomorrow, I’ll take them and post them up. Of course I forgot to take pictures of the inside of the machine! Jeez, one of these days I’ll get my act together with the pictures.